Sarawak will be extending the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) statewide from Feb 15 until March 1, the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) have announced.
The committee in a statement said the CMCO will be extended once more from 12.01am on Feb 15 until 11.59pm on March 1st.
“The standard operating procedures (SOP) can be acquired from the National Security Council (NSC) website,” said SDMC.
The Committee said throughout the CMCO period, all interzone movement in the state without permission from the police would be prohibited.
The committee also warned that economic activities such as the opening of daily markets, wholesale markets, farmers market, night markets and late night bazaars were not allowed in red zone districts around the state.
KUCHING: The Sarawak government has full confidence in the wisdom of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong in ensuring that the state election can be held in accordance with the regulations of the State Constitution without compromising the safety of the people.
Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg said the nationwide declaration of emergency by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong had removed the possibility of holding the election anytime soon.
The emergency effective January 11 to August 1, 2021 was declared as a measure to control the spread of Covid-19 pandemic in the country. It can be lifted earlier if an independent committee recommends that the pandemic is under control.
“I had actually planned to hold the state election last year, but we chose to postpone it as the circumstances did not allow it. The health and wellbeing of our people are the priority of the GPS government led by me,” Abang Johari said in his Chinese New Year (CNY) message.
On another matter, he pointed out that the Chinese community prioritised education for their children – “Wherever there is a Chinese settlement, there is also a school.”
He assured that GPS, as an inclusive government, would continue to provide annual assistance to 14 Chinese private secondary schools throughout Sarawak.
“The existing Chinese private school education system, which also involves many non-Chinese students, should not be neglected as it also contributes to the development of the state’s human resources – especially in the context of regional economy preceded by China’s economy,” he said.
Abang Johari said he had recently handed over a state government grant of RM10 million for this purpose and to continue the efforts initiated by former chief minister, the late Pehin Sri Adenan Satem.
“Aside from this, the state government has also provided assistance to Chinese primary schools, where some 60 percent of the students are Bumiputera,” he said.
On the Covid-19 pandemic, he noted that the situation seemed to be unrelenting for now, with the fourth wave even more vicious than previous spikes.
“We cannot afford to be complacent and make mistakes as the current jump in number of cases, particularly in Sibu, has shown that one single source of infection can cause thousands of others to be infected all over the state,” he said.
He also urged the people to practise honesty when providing information to the authorities as inaccurate information could cause unnecessary infection to others.
“We need to continue with our efforts to keep Covid-19 infection rates down again, and hopefully with the coming of the vaccine, the situation can be better towards the second half of the year,” he said.
In the meantime, he called on the people to abide by the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and cooperate with frontliners and enforcement authorities to bring down the infection rates.
Abang Johari also thanked the frontliners, noting that they had to bear tremendous work pressure and sacrifice to keep the people free from infection.
Although the Covid-19 pandemic prevented people from celebrating CNY in the usual way, he hoped that the tradition of celebrating CNY would still have its significance.
He said while the usual visiting activities could not be carried out, this should not stop the people from continuing to strengthen ties among each other by cultivating the spirit of mutual respect.
“I wish all our Chinese friends a happy Lunar New Year and may the Year of the Ox brings us prosperity, unity, good health, and deliverance from the Covid-19 pandemic in our beloved Land of the Hornbill,” he said.
(extracted and repost in full from an online portal)
The 12th Sarawak Elections will be called as soon as and when the Emergency is lifted.
PBB Wanita Wing have “instructed their members that their operations room to be open and also to activate their election machinery and to comply with the SOP’s. This is in view to prepare for the upcoming state polls and possible snap general elections’
They have also noted that “The general election, state elections and by-elections will not be held during the period of the COVID-19 emergency proclaimed to remain in force until Aug 1.“
This means that the existing mandate of state assembly members will continue to be in effect until Aug 1, when the emergency is scheduled to be lifted.”
By law, elections must be held 60 days after the legislature’s term expires. The Sarawak assembly’s term expires on June 6, and elections must be held by Aug 6.
Should the emergency be lifted on Aug 1, the assembly could be dissolved at that time, which would mean elections must take place by Oct 1.
PBB Wanita Wing in their Press Statement also urged the public to jointly fight Covid -19 and comply with the SOPs outlined by the State Disaster Managament Committee (SDMC) and not to be easily swayed by rumours or fake news.
It’s does seem crystal clear that PSB will not budge and at the time of writing will be contesting in 65 out of the 82 Sarawak State Assembly Seats.
PSB Secretary George Lo has this to say,”“We are not part of Pakatan Harapan and the agreement between PKR, DAP and Amanah on seat allocation has no effect on Parti Sarawak Bersatu or our preparations for the forthcoming state election.”
Earlier DAP Chairman and PH Sarawak Chief Chong Chieng Jen suggested a formula of 70:30 seat allocation between PH component parties and PSB.
Meanwhile PKR Sarawak Chairman Larry Sng in a facebook posting:-
“We will not wait for month end to pursue seat negotiations. Effectively any notion of an alliance between PKR and PSB is now dead. This is unlikely to change since both parties have been discussing for months, without any resolution.”
It will be an interesting showdown between the Political Parties as and when the elections will be which certainly be held after the lifting of the The #COVID19 EMERGENCY.