Penanti Seat “Dr.M Axe Wielder”
April 19, 2009 5 Comments
It’s very clear. Najib has played his cards on the Penanti seat while Anwar has gladly accepted and he was happy if BN did not contest. But Dr.Mahathir seems to have his axe in between the throats of Najib and Anwar. Mahathir does not want UMNO to throw in the towel to Pakatan.
He could have taken it in if it was anyone else but he has a bone or two to pick with Anwar still. These words from Dr.M,”Barisan Nasional should not throw in the towel and withdraw from contesting the Penanti by-election as it would give the impression that the party is weak.
This would disappoint its supporters, especially those in the constituency, said former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir.He said Barisan should not surrender even if the seat was in the Opposition’s hands, adding that he was against the idea that the ruling coalition should only contest in areas where it was strong.
“If it (the Penanti state constituency) was in an Umno area, I am sure that we will contest. However, since it is in an Opposition area, we do not want to contest.
“But if we wait to contest only in Umno areas, then there would not be any Umno’s areas and we would not have to contest anywhere.
- So where does this leave Najib?
- Is he just going to ignore Tun and make his own stand after consultation with the other BN partners?
- Will this decision of not wasting public funds elevate his image ?
- Will opting out make him playing second fiddle to Anwar’s political propaganda?
- Will Najib just ignore Mahathir?
- What happens next if Najib ignores Tun?
We say as always,”When the Grand Old man of Malaysian Politics makes a statement very few will survive if they go against him. Let’s see how Najib handles this to stay afloat…